Sunday, October 3, 2010

Into one's life a little sting must come

It's amazing how when you commit to do something right, how the Lord helps by sending people to lighten your burden. Chris and I decided that we were going to attend the temple during the week which would mean that we would end up paying for the lift to sit idle for a day. It would also mean giving up a day of work but we felt that the Lord would bless for our commitment. Wednesday, out of the blue two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints stopped by with an offer of their services to us. Since Brother Miller and I were taking down trees it seemed like a great offer. They could work on the trees and I could continue my work on the front porch. Prior to recommencing on the tree take down Brother Miller took both missionaries (Elder Chidester (left) and Elder Lyon (right)) up in the lift to inspect the beehive in our old maple tree. The bees have been busily building a comb at the entrance of the hive. (Notice how close the missionaries are to the beehive.)

I thought it would be a great update to my September 22nd post to show the comb. I take it that the bees do not like the paparazzi because as we were going up in the lift I was suddenly stung on the right side of my face at the cheek bone, a place with little fatty tissue to absorb the sting. At first it felt like an electrical shock followed by a burning pain. For a couple of days the area was painful and felt like I had been hit in the face with a baseball. (I know that baseball feeling as I was an infielder during my amateur baseball career.) Anyway, having been stung I decided that I was not going down empty handed, or should I say "without my picture" so we proceeded up the lift. Somebody has to hurt in order to get the pictures.

Brother Miller's comforting words to me regarding the sting were "As long as your throat doesn't swell shut and you stop breathing, then you are not allergic to bee stings". I guess I'm not allergic to bee stings since I am still here.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

And they're supposed to be very good for arthritis..... not sure according to who. sorry you got stung :(

christianne said...

What is good for arthritis? Getting stung? Eating bees? Associating with bees?