Friday, September 3, 2010

The Bay Window

Brother Miller and I worked on the bay window roof on Friday. I needed to get if fixed properly before winter to prevent water damage to the dining room ceiling and heat loss. The roof area is 3 feet wide at the widest point, 6 inches wide at the two outer edges and 180 inches long against the brick wall of the house. Imagine two adult males pulling up the tin roof while standing on it. (It would have been easier if we would have had a lift or at least scaffolding that would reach 15-20 feet.) On one of my trips onto the roof my foot caught on the window sill and I dove head first through the open window. Fortunately I caught my balance, otherwise I would have done a 20 foot, head first dive off the roof. It's not the fall that I was concerned with, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

This experience reminded me of my teenage years when I use to jump off the roof of my parents house. Now you may ask yourself why would someone jump off the roof of a single story house, in particular make a 10-15 foot jump onto solid ground? Well, that is a good question. It could be that I was a little like Napoleon Dynamite when he asked Pedro if Pedro dared him to go and talk to a girl who was in the cafeteria. I don't remember being dared to jump, I just did it. Why do boys do such things? It makes no sense to me. I guess it's because we can, not that we should, but we can.

Anyway, we were able to remove the old tin, remove some of the subroofing (which made the area we were standing on even smaller), insulate the dining room ceiling, replace the subroofing and then pitch and install a new roof before Brother Miller had to leave. I am grateful that we got all that completed without any accidents, except for the cut on my finger. Why don't I just wear my gloves?
Now for the action shots!!!

The new roof is sealed and weatherproof enough for now. Eventually we will put metal back on the roof. Thanks Chris for the photos.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

you cwazy. glad you weren't hurt :)

cjmom said...

Glad you are safe - roof diving - must be a guy thing. ;) Daniel, Jason and Thomas tried it, but there was a lot of fresh snow on the ground.