Sunday, August 21, 2011

The changing direction of wind

Wind is interesting, it can change direction at a moments notice. I think restoration work is somewhat like the changing of the wind. A change in events prompts a change in priorities or focus. Such was the case this weekend. A sudden turn of events prompted us to focus on the downstairs bathroom, and of course the events have now changed again. But since we have now committed ourselves to working on the bathroom we will continue with the process. What have we accomplished so far? Well, Chris has mud and taped the ceiling and I worked on removing the old bathtub. When it was time to take the tub out of the bathroom, well that was a two person project. The tub is cast iron. I'm sure that cast iron is a great product but I detest cast iron, especially when it comes to moving it.  I am glad that I have a hand cart rated at 1000 lbs and a wife who is willing to help with such difficult projects. (Great - more linoleum!)
So now the bathroom looks like this:
 

And what are we going to replace the old tub with? A claw foot tub that is much older and made of cast iron. I hope it is lighter. Chris worked very hard on removing the rust from the underside of the tub. Then she painted it with an undercoat of black Rustoleum followed by a finish coat of paint. There are some fun details on the feet of the tub. 
Here are the results:


(I didn't want anyone standing on their head to see the foot so I rotated it after I took the picture, thus the objects in the background are upside down).

No comments: