Sunday, February 26, 2023

 We had a CPVC pipe joint separate in the 2nd-floor bathroom. The water caused some of the drywall to break creating an opening in the ceiling of the 1st-floor dining room. After I repaired the hole in the dining room ceiling I started to take up the floor in the bathroom so that I could repair the pipe.

Of course, walking on the edge of 2x12s while pulling up the floor beneath your feet requires a certain level of balance, apparently something I lack because I missed the boards and stepped directly onto the drywall.

(One hole repaired, another created.) After the second hole was repaired I went back to working on the bathroom floor. We took up all the old flooring and the planks that served as a subfloor. With the flooring removed I was able to level the floor in two directions. All of the existing CPVC pipes were replaced with PEX. A new subfloor was installed. I used Advantech OSB because of its waterproofing qualities.


LVP was installed over the subfloor.  We also made a minor change in the room. There was a closet in the bathroom, that was walled off and a niche was created for towels and nick-nacks. The closet will be used when we finish the bathroom for the master bedroom. All-in-all, we like the bathroom better than before. (Project started before January 2020 and finished in May 2021.)


*Just a side note: I have been replacing all the old CPVC pipes with PEX. Each fixture has its own hot/cold line. It may cost more this way but the advantage of isolating lines for repairs, and sustained water pressure when multiple fixtures are used simultaneously, makes it worth the extra work.








No comments: