Friday, November 11, 2011

Making Do! (from the Mrs.)


 This post is from Mrs. "Am I nuts!"
Sometimes we think we need to make a purchase
and then realize that we already have something that
work will work just fine...with a little creativity!
Here are two examples.

First the door. On the left is the old bathroom door.
It had never been painted and was so unsightly that
I could only find a partial picture of it. We REALLY
thought we would need to replace this door. Then
Richard came up with a great idea of using some of
our left over wallpaper to dress up the panels. I primed
painted and after it completely dried added some
paintable wallpaper using wallpaper paste. Caulked
the edges to give a sealed look and then added
two coats of paint to the wallpaper and caulk.

This is now my favorite door.


















Next we have the clock! I searched and searched for a clock to put in our newly finished bathroom downstairs but nothing seemed to fit into the decor and color scheme we had used. Then I realized I could remake one of our old plastic clocks circa 1985. It's been a great clock all of these years but kinda modern looking for an 1892 Victorian.

I found directions online for how to do this. I had never done it before but had always wanted to try.
I removed the battery and carefully lifted off the
hands being sure to keep them in the proper order.
Next came the paint. I chose a copper hammered enamel, that we already had, because I wanted the
finished look to have some texture to it.

This look might be the stopping point for some but I wanted it to compliment the rest of the theme in our bathroom so I added some satin black paint, which I already had from the range cabinet Richard made for the kitchen. I used this black paint sparingly wiping the brush onto newspaper before touching it to the hammered copper.

Below is the clock after lightly brushing on the black satin paint.









 Now I needed a face for the clock. I found some I liked online. The bathroom this clock is going into has some Asian Toile fabric draperies that have an elephant in the scheme. I really like the elephant. I was able
to use some photoshop magic to create an elephant to place onto the face of the clock. Printed it on card-stock and cut it out. Of course there was some trial and error with this. I did the first few on draft quality to conserve ink. I also found the yellow face of the clock too bright and wanted to age it a bit. After several experiments found that our grandchildren's watercolors worked the best. I ironed it dry, yes I ironed it. Water going into paper can make it swell and distort. The dry ironing helped to counter act that. I cut it, used some glue, lined up the new face with the old and rubbed it into place for a few minutes. And here it is...before a great 1985 clock and after an aged clock for an older home.

Below is the clock hanging on the bathroom wall.

4 comments:

Am-I-Nuts said...

Very nice! That is why Mrs. Am-I-Nuts designs the decor.

Celeste said...

That is so rad!!! And smart! I never would've thought of that before. Go mom!

P.S. I'm pretty sure I learned to tell time on that awesome vintage clock :) glad it's still ticking away!

B said...

Those were some pretty creative ways to use things you already had! The clock was pretty awesome, I must say. I'm excited about the progress!

christianne said...

Honey, thank you couldn't do it w/o you!

Celeste, yes you did learn to tell time on that clock. Many exciting things were waited for and anticipated by watching THAT clock.

Bryce, thank you. We wouldn't have all that is done w/o your help.